Parents & Fans
Welcome to the Daily Family YMCA Youth Sports Parent’s page! Below you’ll find answers to several of our frequently asked questions, and some helpful tips to make your Y sport experience the best that it can be.
Where can I find information on upcoming sports?
Information on youth sports seasons can be found by visiting our website and/or the front desk of your local Y!
Can I sign up online?
Absolutely! The YMCA offers online registrations through our YMCA Youth Sports Online Registration webpage. Click the link to open a new window with a list of the sports leagues available for registration.
How are the coaches picked?
All of our coaches are volunteers! Most are parents helping coach their kids, while others are folks from the community who share the same Y values. ALL of our coaches go through annual background checks and Child Abuse Prevention training, so you can rest easy knowing your child’s safety is our #1 priority.
How often is practice?
Our teams are guaranteed practice once a week. Practices can last anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the sport and age group.
Can I stay and watch practice?
Absolutely, we encourage it! As a matter of fact, our teams are always looking for Assistant Coaches and Team Parents (who can organize snack schedules, keep score, etc.) if you’re interested in helping during practices and games!
What equipment will my child need?
Your equipment needs will vary by the sport your child plays!
- Soccer players are required to wear shin guards to both practices and games.
- T-ball players are required to bring their own mitt/glove.
- Basketball players are required to wear court-safe athletic shoes to both practices and games.
- Volleyball players are required to wear kneepads and court-safe athletic shoes to both practices and games.
For other equipment questions, be sure to attend your Parent’s Meeting at the beginning of the sports season!
What are the Rules of Play for each sport?
Click HERE to access the youth sports rules.
Here are some helpful tips to ensure you have a great season!
- Save the Coaches contact information and give them yours. You could even start a text or Facebook group with the other parents on your team to stay in touch!
- Sign up for Weather and Emergency Text Alerts on the front page of this website – We want to get you the right information as quickly and easily as possible! This is a great resource to stay up to date!
- Make sure your athlete has the appropriate equipment they need. For questions on equipment, we’ve provided information in the FAQ section to the left.
- Help us work on our Responsibility skills by showing up on time and ready to play for practices and games. We understand that things can come up, so please notify your Coach via phone call or text.
- Make it FUN!! At the Y, we work hard to instill our Core Values of Honesty, Caring, Respect and Responsibility in all of our athletes. We want this experience to be enjoyable for all of our kids, families, and coaches, so get ready for some hard work and CHEERING each other on!
- If you have any questions, please email your Sports Coordinator or our general Sports email, [email protected]
At the Y, we have a zero tolerance policy regarding the conduct of our athletes, coaches, and families. We expect behavior that is consistent with the YMCA’s goals and Core Values as described in our Parent, Athlete, and Coach Codes of Conduct. We reserve the right to remove any individuals who show negative conduct while in our programs. This includes but is not limited to: inappropriate language, aggressive behaviors (yelling, physical harm), and use of tobacco products and/or alcohol on Y grounds.
We thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation!