Soccer season is upon us which means it is time to start Academy as well. For some of you this may be the first you are hearing about it and for some you have participated for a while now. Training this season will again be on Tuesdays. March 21st will be the first one for children in U8, U10 or U12. There will be two separate sessions, one at 4:45 and one at 5:45, each lasting 50 minutes. The cost is per month and varies each month due to amount of sessions for that month, March- $20, April- $40, and May- $30. All Academy trainings will take place on Field 6 which is located on the left side when looking at the building. For further questions or to put your child on the list then e-mail Jeremy at [email protected]
Meet the Coach
I will be coaching the Academy trainings and my name is Jeremy Govero. I am the director of the league and am in my 10th season doing so. I am originally from Cleveland, TN where I played soccer starting at age 2 all the way through high school. I was a four year starter at my high school primarily playing outside midfield and forward and won the Golden Boot for most goals scored my Junior and Senior year while being selected to Best of Preps for the Chattanooga area after my senior year. I was also selected to play with the Tennessee All-Stars in an East vs. West game. I have helped coach soccer camps for about 10 years now and started doing Academy trainings for 5 years now. I currently hold a National D license and am in my 3rd season of coaching a U12 travel team. My philosophy is to develop players technically first and foremost. The technical part of the game is so important. It seems most of the time when play breaks down at a young age it is because of the technical skill. Continuing to play without the correct skill can lead to forming bad habits which in turn makes it worst for the player as they get older. The goal is to form good habits at an early age that will directly relate to game play as they get older.
A few extra notes:
• WE ARE NOT PLAYING GAMES OR TRAVELING.
• The months of training will be March, April and May. You have the option to train for one month or all months.
• I would prefer a minimum of 7 players and up to 14.
• Academy is open to everyone in the U8, U10, and U12 age group. Therefore, there will be some children who are younger training as well as some older. However, the stipulation is that each child must come prepared to work hard and not disrupt practice. Some type of skill test will possibly be assessed if need be but the idea is to allow any child to continue to improve as long as they are working toward the skill. The most important part will be that each child is able to make it through the whole training. Also, I am ok with a player committing for only the month but I will not allow a player to just come for one session. There are no refunds for missed sessions. If weather continues to not allow practice I will do my best to reschedule or compensate for the following month. That will be determined case by case.
What Academy will look like:
Purpose of Academy: To build the individual skill of a player with the opportunity to apply it in game situations
Key Areas of Emphasis:
• Change of Direction
• Individual Defending
• Touches in small sided games